DOGFIGHTING, CHEATING DEATH, AND HOLLYWOOD GLORY AS ONE OF AMERICA'S BEST FIGHTER JOCKS
by Dave "Bio" Baranek
Limited offer: signed copy of the TOPGUN DAYS hardcover. This is the high-quality 300-page edition with more than 50 color photographs.
- Cost: $21.00 in the USA (Virginia residents: $22.26 with sales tax), $31.00 international. These prices include postage.
- Payment: PayPal only. PayPal account Email is: Bio@topgunbio.com
- Please provide personalization info if you would like the book dedicated to someone special.
- This message will be removed when the books are gone.
Navy Topgun Instructors, among the best trained and most respected of all aviators, are not born; they are made through their own determined efforts and the coordinated work of their predecessors. TOPGUN DAYS reveals in exuberant prose how a young man goes from aspirations to realizing his dreams.
Former F-14 radar intercept officer and Topgun instructor Dave Baranek (callsign: Bio) describes the commitment required to first master the mighty F-14 Tomcat fighter, and then the extreme demands placed on instructors once they report to the Topgun school. He goes from being waterboarded in survival training to performing at the highest levels while subjected to six-and-half times the force of gravity during gut-wrenching dogfights. He speaks of the long hours instructors put in to prepare their lectures, and reflects candidly on the untimely deaths of two of his associates in aircraft accidents. He describes his own struggle for his very life after ejecting from a crashing F-14.
TOPGUN DAYS is not only about trial, it is about adventure and triumph. Dave takes readers among the clouds with his vivid accounts of the incredible power and maneuverability these young men harness. The rewards include unforgettable action and the camaraderie of others who he respects. In Dave’s case, the rewards also include a bit of Hollywood fame as he helps to create that well known blockbuster, “Top Gun.”
- Link to Part 3 of my online article about how the Topgun squadron remained relevant as a center of excellence in air combat. I enjoyed writing this, and thinking back to my time as an instructor there. The Photorecon site also has my 30-minute interview with Dr. Sky, great interviewer and aviation enthusiast.
- Congratulations to Ms. Christine Fox, former analyst/scientist at NAS Miramar and supporting TOPGUN, on her appointment as Deputy Secretary of Defense. Here is one of the news stories. I worked with her on a few small projects when I was a junior officer and can attest that she deserved the excellent reputation she had at Miramar as a talented analyst.
- Shortlist.com just posted 15 Things You (Probably) Didn't Know About "Top Gun." Entertaining details on the movie!
- TOPGUN DAYS makes the Business Insider website!
- In Seattle? Pick up a signed copy of TOPGUN DAYS and visit a truly impressive aviation and space museum, The Museum of Flight.
- In Las Vegas? Signed copies of TOPGUN DAYS are available in the gift shop at the National Atomic Testing Museum , which presents a fascinating time in our history.
- Be sure to check out my aviation reading list, at the bottom of the Links page. I personally recommend these aviation-related books.
- Prints of many aircraft photos from TOPGUN DAYS are now available from Stocktrek Images.
The softcover version of TOPGUN DAYS is available at Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble.com, and other booksellers. Lower price, a full 6x9 inches, with 50+ high-quality color photos and exciting new material on making the movie "Top Gun." By the way, the new material is a chapter at the end of the book, after the Glossary.
What others are saying about TOPGUN DAYS:
- From catapult shot to the red carpet, this book delivers. - Kai Ryssdal, host of public radio's "Marketplace" and former Naval Flight Officer
- The movie was cool, but the real thing is cooler, isn’t it? ... What I particularly appreciated is how good he is at explaining. ... So I loved how accessible Dave made his world. - Sarah Morgan
- Dave "Bio" Baranek brings "real world" experience and an edgy writing talent to the high-speed, high-G world of air warfare in the carrier-based F-14 Tomcat. - Robert F. Dorr, author of Mission to Tokyo and dozens of other aviation books
- If you even remotely enjoy naval aviation, fast jets, or just good pilot stories you’ll love Topgun Days! - YouLikeAirplanesToo.com
Representation: Contact the author.