DOGFIGHTING, CHEATING DEATH, AND HOLLYWOOD GLORY AS ONE OF AMERICA'S BEST FIGHTER JOCKS
by Dave "Bio" Baranek
- The Las Vegas event was great fun! I enjoyed meeting a bunch of aviation enthusiasts. Thanks to to the staff of the National Atomic Testing Museum for setting it up, and to Atomic Liquors for hosting us so ably. See photos on the new Scrapbook 2 page!
- This article in USA Today covers "Top Gun" 3D and discussion of a sequel, as well as notes from making the original.
- Recent Interview with Kelly McGillis by Ward Carroll, editor of Military.com.
- Be sure to check out my aviation reading list, at the bottom of the Links page. I personally recommend these aviation-related books.
- At book signings I often mention the flying videos from my first F-14 squadron, including my own ejection. They are on this page of this site.
Prints of many aircraft photos from TOPGUN DAYS are now available from Stocktrek Images.
The softcover version of TOPGUN DAYS is available at Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble.com, and other booksellers. Lower price, a full 6x9 inches, with 50+ high-quality color photos and exciting new material on making the movie "Top Gun." By the way, the new material is a chapter at the end of the book, after the Glossary.
What others are saying about TOPGUN DAYS:
- From catapult shot to the red carpet, this book delivers. - Kai Ryssdal, host of public radio's "Marketplace" and former Naval Flight Officer
- The movie was cool, but the real thing is cooler, isn’t it? ... What I particularly appreciated is how good he is at explaining. ... So I loved how accessible Dave made his world. - Sarah Morgan
- Dave "Bio" Baranek brings "real world" experience and an edgy writing talent to the high-speed, high-G world of air warfare in the carrier-based F-14 Tomcat. - Robert F. Dorr, author of Mission to Berlin
- If you even remotely enjoy naval aviation, fast jets, or just good pilot stories you’ll love Topgun Days! - YouLikeAirplanesToo.com
Topgun Days straps readers into the Navy's hottest jet fighters, a world many have seen in movies and television, but few have experienced. Readers quickly understand the thrills of roaring afterburners and supersonic shockwaves, and the split-second terror when our amiable narrator Bio ejects from his crashing fighter.
Readers will also experience the human side, sharing his aspirations and humorous stumbles, and ultimately the satisfying triumph of becoming a Topgun instructor, the best of the best. While Bio does indeed make it to the top of the pyramid, he keeps his sense of joy that comes with such an accomplishment and his keen fascination with the technical and visceral aspects of dogfighting in jet fighters. His engaging writing will have readers feeling the g-forces, describing scenes most never imagined.
Representation: Contact the author.